Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Pogo Was Right

Reproductive choice. It's a big rope in the current tug-of-war over health care in the United States. There are those who insist that reproductive choice be included in the deal and then there are those who say, "Nuh-uh, the human race will die out if we allow women to choose whether or not they become mothers! We have to force them to do it!"

'Scuze me? Over somebody's dead body, bub! And I can assure you, it won't be mine!

Somewhere recently, I read that about 78% of the anti-choicers are men, 100% of whom will never be pregnant. That's a very interesting point, but I'm not sure it has any real purpose except for those who collect statistics. Not being subject to the proposed laws, what men think really is beside the point, whether they are pro choice or anti choice. Oh, I suppose that even in this day and age, some men still think they can control the lives and thoughts of women; and I have no doubt that there are some sly women who are content to let them think that.

On the other hand, that says that 22% of the anti-choicers are women! Women who want to subject other women to the slavery of no voice and no vote when it comes to the governing of the bodies in which they live! Traitors to their very gender. Subversives.

The Enemy.

And no, I don't think that's too strong a word.

No comments: